Monday, December 4, 2017

Troubling Me Too

Having lived through the Sandusky scandal in State College while working at Penn State, I am deeply troubled by the possibility of Roy Moore winning the senate vote in Alabama. Our community withstood harsh criticisms and blanket condemnations that we all were pedophiles and guilty by association. The crimes of Sandusky were horrible, and perpetrated against several young boys in our community.

Looking to the current situation in Alabama, I'm perplexed that a similar outrage is not present. That unified voice of condemnation that was raised against our community and its perpetrator is surprisingly missing. Apparently, a strong contingent in that state and beyond do not see his acts as being criminal or abhorrent.

One possibility occurs to me for the discrepancy, though I'm loathe to even contemplate it. The victims in State College were young boys. The victims in Alabama were young girls.

Has society become so accustomed to sexual abuse against females that those crimes cause less rancor than abuse against males?

Given the untenable likelihood that Roy Moore will be elected in spite of his crimes against young women, I can't help but wonder whether this is the case. I feel disgust down to the very core of my being.