Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Surely the Ice Age Cometh

Have you felt it? That weird shift in the balance of the universe and the slow creep of chilly undercurrents as hell has begun to freeze over? I can give you some insight into the cause. I've begun the Couch to 5K (C25K) program.

Yes, you read that right.

C25K could have ended up like every other exercise program I started and quickly abandoned. However, for the first time in my more than 50 years, I planned ahead and set myself up for success.

First, I had myself fitted with appropriate running shoes. Ones to support my stride and help me avoid the shin splints I was experiencing on long walks.

Second, I searched for good locations for jogging. Places that are relatively level. Where I could park nearby. And backup locations for times when my favorite spot (a local track) was not available.

Third, I planned ahead by looking at my calendar and figuring out when I could fit the workouts into my busy schedule. Every week for the duration of the program.

Forth, I downloaded a great C25K app onto my smartphone then created a music playlist of upbeat songs. I linked the two in order to help me through the rough times during my runs.

And finally, I set a date and a time to start and I stuck with it.

It may not sound like much but taking each of these steps was crucial to being successful. The surprise was that after I got past the initial tiredness (to call me a couch potato would have been an understatement), I reached a turning point. I started to like it. It felt good. I felt strong. I became powerful.

I'm not quite half way through, but I hope to describe some of my experiences here...in part to help others. But also to remind myself, if and when I hit a bump in this new road, just how positive this has become for my life.

Care to join me? Read all about the C25K program at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

Hit me up in the comments if you have any questions.

Thanks for reading!

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment